This was until
last week when my grief and general depression got the better of me and put me
in hospital getting every test imaginable for “critically high blood pressure”.
To say this
has been a wake-up call for me is an understatement. It has pushed me to do
something so I can move forward in my life. But it has been so difficult for
me. I have suffered mental health issues my whole life. The last time I had
mental health issues visible to family friends and general society was 10 years
ago. I got myself into a better place by becoming my own rock. I know I did it
and I guess I became a bit conceited and a bit egotistical as I thought from
that point on ANYTHING that caused me to slip could be solved by the magnificent
Lisa.
Until today.
I went to see a psychologist. First question he asked me after I told him my
story of my beautiful boy Angel was “So how did your day to day life changed
after having and losing your baby and has it returned to normal”. The only
answer I could give him was that it NEVER changed.
Yes I cry in my room BUT my everyday life, existence and being
NEVER changed not once. Directly after losing Angel, beside the funeral, I did
nothing out of the ordinary.
I continued
caring for my son. I returned to work 3 months after losing Angel. I continued
organising everything for everyone as it was what I had always done.
You see the
old Lisa would have exploded and acted irrationally. Putting it visually I
would have let the “pressure balloon” that is my emotional state and wellbeing
just pop! Go off – full release. Everybody run and fucking hide!
BUT I am not
the old Lisa. I worked my ass off to come from that place. And in that journey
I have developed a strength that is unbelievable! It is virtually indestructible.
So you think
being a strong person would be great in a situation such as losing a child. I
thought it was. Nope, not at all.
I have
become so strong that I now have this full pressure balloon. And it is as full
as a mother can get. It is taking up so much space, time and emotion in there
that I have no allowance for anything else.
I am ready
to explode BUT new Lisa does not explode. I have gained that from the “oak tree”
strength I have developed so well.
But I can’t
live my life being so consumed by this full pressure balloon as there is just
no give in it at all.
So this is
the story my fantastic psychologist told me:
A man and
his family are stuck in a horrific typhoon. All the villagers around the family
run to the strong old oak tree and grasp it through the typhoon. The man takes
his family to the garden of bamboo.
The storm
hits, the old oak groans and creaks throughout the storm whilst the bamboo
flexes and moves whilst staying planted in the ground.
When the storm
was over the oak tree was gone, but the bamboo with the man’s family grasping
it was still there.
We know the
bamboo is going to flex and gain more stability in the end from that, but we
know the old strong oak is eventually going to fail in the storm and fall over.
We don’t know when we just know it will occur.
I am now
throwing out my strong oak tag. It has served me well, but it will not help me
grown anymore. I am now flexible bamboo. I move and shift with different
situations and in that flexibility I still gain strength just a different kind,
a flexible kind.
In this new
found flexibility I understand that the pressure balloon needs some release BUT
I am not old Lisa and I will not explode. There is nothing wrong with letting a
little of the pressure out. It allows a bit of freedom. The balloon can get
kicked around a bit, tweaked a bit and it has that bit of play.
So slow,
controlled releases of the balloon is what I will be aiming for. I will approach
my day with flexibility allowing me the option to change the directions of my
life, emotions, grief and mental wellbeing in general.
Today I am
finally looking at my life with the outlook that there is flexibility ahead and
not living in fear that my only option to work past all this is explode.
And it honestly
feels unbelievably cool!
naw hunny you write so beautifully.....I talk about my umm oak tree as a seed, planted deep in my soul...that grew a little and I thought had died....my counsellor said, how have you gotten this far.....the seed still had roots... I am so proud of you hunny xoxoxoxoxoxoox
ReplyDelete